Strengthening Relations BRICS by BRICS – A New Chapter In Sino-India Relation
1 month ago Ishan Chourey 0
The 2017 BRICS Summit held in Xiamen China will be most remembered for adding new chapters in Sino-India relations.
After a 70-day military standoff at Doklam, the leaders of two most powerful nations of Asia met in BRICS summit for the first time.
Not only Sino-India relations got the second wave, the summit saw discussion and development in the field of terrorism, trade and climate change.
Xiamen BRICS summit saw the following developments:
- This was the first time that Pakistan based terrorist groups Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jaish-e-Mohammed were recognized and condemned by the summit as terrorist groups. China took a rigid stance against these groups despite its growing diplomatic ties with Pakistan and its rigid stance towards Maulana Masood Azhar. India has been trying to pursue the BRICS Council and this will help it in its mission against terrorism in Jammu and Kashmir. “We deplore all terrorist attacks worldwide, including attacks in BRICS countries, and condemn terrorism in all its forms and manifestations wherever committed and by whomsoever and stress that there can be no justification whatsoever for any act of terrorism,” the BRICS resolution said.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi emphasized on the foundation of BRICS- development, and promotion of trade ties between member nations- and called for formation of a BRICS credit rating agency to cater to financing needs of sovereign and corporate entities of developing countries. A Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the BRICS Business Council and the New Development Bank on Strategic Cooperation.
- Apart from President Xi Jinping PM Modi also met with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Brazilian President Michel Temer, discussing ways to promote bilateral ties with its Asian partners. PM Modi and President Putin also discussed increasing investment and increasing cooperation in the fields of natural gas and oil sector.
- 2017 Summit declared its Action Plan for Innovative Cooperation 2017-2020. The Action Plan focused on promoting Science, Technology, and Innovation (STI) under bilateral and multilateral frameworks in accordance with the Memorandum of Understanding between the governments of BRICS nations, Jaipur Declaration.
- In order to show its commitment to the council, China announced to launch economic and technical cooperation plan for BRICS nations with 500 million yuan(approx. Rs.500 crore) for the first term to facilitate policy exchange and practical cooperation and in the economics and trade.
- PM Modi also delivered a dialogue for emerging markets and growing Asian nations, emphasizing on development agenda ‘Sabka saath, sabka vikaas’, Counter Terrorism, Cyber Security and Disaster Management.
Prime Minister Modi announced his 10 Noble Commitments for Global Transformation during 2017 BRICS Summit. They were:
- Creating a safer world by coordinated and organized action on Cyber Terrorism, Cyber Security, and Disaster Management.
- The three-prong approach of providing a bank account for all citizens, biometric identification to all and using innovative e-governance solutions.
- Creating a greener world by investment in alternate sources of energy like International Solar Alliance and countering climate change by reducing carbon footprint.
- Enabled world by sharing and deploying suitable technologies to enhance efficiency, economy, and effectiveness.
- Promoting digital economy for a more transparent governance and fight against lack money.
- Creating a digital world by bridging the economic divide within and outside our economy.
- Emphasis on creating skilled world and future ready youth.
- Increase investment in healthcare and research to fight towards a healthier world and making healthcare available and affordable for all.
- Promotion of free flow of goods, trade ties and ideologies, practices, and heritage that are centered on peaceful coexistence and living in harmony with nature.
- Contributing directly to the welfare of the global community in addition t the welfare of our own(BRICS nation) people.
9th BRICS Sumit achieved some major milestones in terms of India-China relationships. Though it is far from what we would expect from the Asian Giants, this positive step towards peaceful co-exitance will help them in mutual development.