Delhi High Court sides Shashi Tharoor, slams notice to Arnab and Republic TV

10 months ago Global Daily Tribune . 0

Shashi Tharoor, whose image has been a subject of controversy since the mysterious murder of his wife Sunanda Pushkar, has once again come to the limelight. Recently, Delhi High Court on Friday issued a notice to Arnab Goswami and his channel Republic TV for “Defaming and Maligning” on wife Sunanda Pushkar’s death, Delhi High Court sought a response from “Journalist Arnab Goswami” and Republic TV on Shashi Tharoor’s plea that they continued to engage in “misreporting” his wife’s death despite an assurance given in the court on May 29 by the council.

Shashi Tharoor Delhi High Court slams Arnab for maligning Shashi Tharoor's image
Shashi Tharoor’s defamation plea against Arnab Goswami (Representative image)

Justice Manmohan sought replies from Journalist Goswami and his channel Republic TV after Shashi Tharoor alleged that they have been pursuing his wife Sunanda Pushkar’s death as an “expose in the Death of Sunanda Pushkar” since the channel launched earlier this year. Taking note on Tharoor’s plea Court said, You have to respect Tharoor’s right to silence and stop misreporting. Court asked not to mention the expression, “Expose in the murder of Sunanda Pushkar” which recently aired on Republic TV with the playing tapes of a purported conversation between a reporter and Shashi Tharoor’s assistant Narayan on the night of his wife’s death.

Shashi Tharoor alleged in his plea court must direct Republic TV and Arnab Goswami to not air any news defaming his reputation as the matter is under investigation and is yet to be established by a competent court that whether it was a death or murder.

Tharoor has already filed a defamation suit and claimed 2 core against Arnab Goswami and Republic TV for allegedly maligning on the mysterious death of his wife.

“They have only placed the actual pieces of evidence and the police reports while broadcasting the news and never called Shashi Tharoor a murderer in any of the news broadcasts on their channel”, said Senior advocate Sandeep Sethi appearing for Republic TV and Mr. Goswami. However, Justice Manmohan asked Council that they will have to abide by their promise of names would not be taken in any of the news broadcasting.

Meanwhile, The Court has fixed the matter for next hearing on August 16.